Favourite Avenger?

11/3/08

College is Stupid

Take a good look at this map.
This was recently in the New York Times.
Remember those maps of the US in 2004 that depicted the Electoral Votes in a RED and BLUE distortion according to population and which inadvertently made the country look like a lava lamp?
Well, this map represents the number of Electoral Votes each state has (the small black #) and, more interestingly, the number of voters each Electoral Vote represents (the large white #).

If you are from Wyoming (or freakin DC for that matter which has taxation without representation!) your vote counts A LOT! This map represents this by the SIZE of each state above.
Since 2001 when I moved from KY to TN and then in 2002 from TN to MA and then in 2008 from MA to TN my vote counted like this...
NOT SO MUCH - EVEN LESS - MUCH BETTER? - CRAP

Now, this is going to be a little dangerous what I do here, but heck, every talking head on TV does it...I'm going to make a crazy, declarative statement without doing diligent research on a topic and then be unapologetic for it later and say I stand by it wholeheartedly and then get fired by Biscuit World for making such a statement and then I'll get re-hired by some other blog site cuz I'm just that awesome.

Here goes: GET RID OF THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE SYSTEM.

And no, this is not Al Gore sour grapes. This is legit. It's outdated in my opinion, give everyone a fair shot. I mean, when rational friends of mine are writing in "Ted Nugent" for President for their vote just because there is no way Candidate X will NOT get all the Electoral Votes already in their state, SOMETHING needs to be done.

I do not want Wango Tango with his finger on the button nor do I want "Cat Scratch Fever Day" to be a National Holiday.

But I could be wrong. I'm just too lazy to read up on it.


No comments: