Favourite Avenger?

11/16/07

Comic Recommendates #1

The title of this post comes from the podcasts of my LCS (Local Comic Shop), Comicazi in Davis Square.
Check them out here...
What I'm going to try to do is comment on up to 3 of the week's best. And obviously, since Wednesday is new comic book day, my recommendates will follow shortly after I've read my weekly stash. Hopefully, those of you dudes that are reading will check out some of my suggestions, and those that don't read...well, maybe you might find them interesting just looking at the purdy pictures...

UNO
First up, the book on my pull list that I consistently read first when I get it (even on the toilet) is BPRD.
Written by Hellboy scribe Mike Mignola and his partner-in-crime John Arcudi, this follows the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense members (basically everyone in that universe sans Hellboy). If you've seen the movie "Hellboy" you know Liz Sherman the firestarter and Abe Sapien the "fishboy".
All I gots to say is Guy Davis rules this freakin book and his art, along with the gothic horror/macabre sense in every panel is well worth it. The arc "Killing Ground" is finishing up but "1946" starts up in 2008 and just the ad I saw for it has me in a Pavlovian saliva fit.

DOS
The New Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis and Leinil Yu.
Short history: Sh*t happened. The Avengers got smoked. Iron Man sells out to Big Brother. Civil War. Big Brother get his "Mighty Avengers", the underground got "The New Avengers".

Membership: Spider-Man, Wolverine (yeah, I know), Luke Cage, The Iron Fist, Hawkeye now as "Ronin", Doctor Strange, Spider Woman?

Bendis knows what he's doing in BOTH titles but Yu's artwork has me excited each month. Plus, the team has to figure out how to walk the line of being superheroes and not getting apprehended by the Tin Man. I have a feeling they'll play a major part in this emerging Skrull Invasion storyline.

TRES
BRIT by Bruce Brown (with Robert Kirkman playing Jiminy Cricket) and Cliff Rathburn.
The ongoing series is starting off slowly for me but the character is cool and his sister is even cooler. Not sure if I'm into Donald anymore. He does this thing with his head a la "The Thing" by John Carpenter when he gets his block knocked off. Time will tell.

The best bet is to get the trade that collects the 3 previous one-shots. The opening battle in "Brit" against Master Mind is worth the money. Wow. BTW, Tony Moore (original Brit artist) pwns.

Get up on that sh*t!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

World War Hulk just ended...that shit brought a tear to my eye. Quality stuff there.