Favourite Avenger?

4/23/09

Best of Led Zeppelin


Well, I know my buddy Jimmy would say that there is no such thing as this category. That's not his fault. He sat in front of a Zep fan in high school who happened to also be a drummer...

Zeppelin was my first real love in high school. Couldn't get enough. And even though the other members are ridiculously talented in their own rights, I was always fondest of John Paul Jones. But I guess that's just cuz I'm a keyboard player first, drummer second.

I decided to leave The Song Remains the Same out of contention along with the multitude of greatest hits, live and rarities albums Page has remastered and put out every few years when he needs to make a bank deposit.

Anyway, the list...
  1. Physical Graffiti - I know. I know. A double album. But when the Smashing Pumpkins and other bands put out their own double albums that should have been single albums (or EPs) you realize how good every song on this is.
  2. IV - Instant Classic. Changed hard rock forever.
  3. II - "Bring It On Home". Nuff Said.
  4. Houses of the Holy - Would've been perfect withOUT "Dancing Days".
  5. I - Go back and revisit this one. Sounds a little dated but "Dazed and Confused" and "How Many More Times" are stupid good.
  6. III - Rockers thrown in with some quality acoustic stuff. "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" pwns.
  7. Presence - "Achilles Last Stand" alone, on a single, would still rank here.
  8. Coda - Could Zeppelin have outlasted the Stones? Maybe it's better we didn't find out.
  9. In Through The Out Door - "Carouselambra" is still my favorite track to drum along to...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I might have agreed with you on this until recently when I broke out Physical Graffiti and suffered tragic, insurmountable disappointment at every turn. I just...don't think it's that great of an album. It has its jams, definitely. But by and large it seemed to be to carry a lot of filler. Those first 4 albums, though...like Winger, I can't get enuff.

4114 said...

I would argue that they opened up the writing style. You probably wouldn't have had "Down by the Seaside" or "Night Flight" on any other record. Hands down, Disc One destroys and gems like "In the Light", "Ten Years Gone", and "Black Country Woman" make Disc Two.